Umar Faruq is an Associate in the firm’s Dispute Resolution, Banking and Finance, Energy and Natural Resources Practice Groups.
He is a skilled litigator who regularly appears before superior courts in Nigeria. On behalf of the firm, he has represented a diverse portfolio of clients (comprising IOCs, State-owned corporations and blue-chip companies) before the Federal/State High Courts, Court of Appeal as well as the Supreme Court of Nigeria. In a recent victory, he successfully represented the largest global workspace provider in a breach of contract claim before a Nigerian court.
Umar Faruq is respected and trusted by clients for his advocacy, advisory and analytical competence in very complex commercial disputes. He is notable for his commercial awareness, attention to detail and ability to seamlessly provide innovative solutions to the most complex legal and non-legal issues.
- Best Counsel, Osun State University Inter-Chambers Moot Competition (2017)
- Best Memorial/Brief of Argument, Osun State University Inter-University Moot Competition (2017)
- 2nd Best Counsel, University of Ilorin Inter-University Moot Competition (2016)
- Most Engaging Speaker, Osun State University Inter-University Debate Competition (2013)
- Joint Winner, Kaduna State Inter-Schools Debate Competition (2012)
- Co-authored an article titled “Of CBN, Skye Bank and Corporate Restructuring” which was published in ThisDay Newspaper on 29th October 2018.