Boonyameen is a Notary Public for the Federal Republic of Nigeria and he manages the practice of Babalakin & Co in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Nigeria.
Boonyameen is a seasoned lawyer with close to two decades of extensive experience in high value commercial litigation, advocacy and the practice and procedure of the superior courts of Nigeria. Boonyameen also has considerable experience as counsel in commercial arbitration proceedings. Boonyameen regularly prepares and files numerous pleadings, memoranda, applications, written addresses, briefs of argument in respect of cases at the High Court, Various Tribunals, Court(s) of Appeal all the way to the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
Boonyameen has handled several court room trials and argued contentious applications in disputes arising from various sectors of the Nigerian economy.
Boonyameen spearheads the firm’s engagement with government agencies on behalf of its multinational and indigenous clients, regarding complex regulatory compliance issues. Boonyameen also leads the effort of the firm in monitoring bills and laws passed by the National Assembly and advice(s) clients on how the new laws and regulations may impact their businesses.
Boonyameen is also passionate about providing pro bono legal services to indigent members of society.
- Acted as lead Counsel on behalf of Uber (an independent third-party transportation provider that provides web-based technology) in respect of a litigation that successfully challenged certain regulations impeding its operations in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
- Acted as lead Counsel on behalf of Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority and successfully instituted third party proceedings as well as obtained judgment against a major insurance company that was liable to its employees in respect of their retirement benefits.
- Acts as lead counsel to a bank regarding various disputes that arise from its operations in Nigeria
- Acted as part of a team in collaboration with three major international law firms on behalf of a foreign state owned oil company that conducted arbitration and court proceedings in relation to substantial disputes concerning oil concessions in a part of West Africa.
- Acted as lead counsel for Galaxy Backbone Limited and presented a memorandum at a public hearing before the joint committee of the Senate and House of representatives on ICT and cybersecurity regarding a proposed bill.
- Acted as lead counsel to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory in litigation arising from a contractual dispute with a major construction company
- Acted as lead counsel on behalf of Rosehill Group in respect of a dispute arising from a public private partnership agreement with the Federal Capital Territory Administration against a third party regarding the construction of an Ultra-Modern residential complex and golf course referred to as the Asokoro Island project.
- Acted as part of the team of lawyers to Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited in respect of various litigation arising from the operations of a USD 250 Million Airport Terminal under a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) system.
- Acted as part of a team of lawyers that successfully represented an aspirant to the Katsina State House of Assembly at various election petition tribunals including at the appellate court.
- Acted as part of the team of Lawyers to NNPC Ltd in several matters relating to both litigation and arbitral proceedings particularly a transaction involving a total of over USD 300 Million.
- Acted as part of the team of lawyers that advised and represented The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited at a hearing before the National Assembly on a petition submitted by some of the oil producing states in the Niger-Delta region of Nigeria.
- Acted as part of the team that consulted for the Ministry of Petroleum Resources on the Nigerian Gas Master Plan.
- Acted as lead counsel on behalf of Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company regarding various disputes between its management and several media houses.
- Acts as lead counsel to Oxfam in Nigeria in managing its diverse litigation portfolio with its several business partners.
- Regularly advises “Save The Children Foundation, Nigeria” on employment related issues in accordance with Nigerian Law particularly, as it relates to its diverse and multi-jurisdictional employees.
- Awarded a Certificate of Recognition as a Mentor by the Young Lawyers Forum of the Nigerian Bar Association
- Appointed a Notary Public for the Federal Republic of Nigeria by the Chief Justice of Nigeria
- Designated as a pro-bono partner for the Legal Aid Council
- Secretary of the Nigerian Bar Association Public Interest Litigation Committee
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association, Nigeria
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, International Bar Association.
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom